Pay Bills

Meralco extends suspension of electrical disconnections in NCR, 4 provinces – Manila bulletin


Electric utility giant Manila Electric Company (Meralco) extends suspension of its electricity service disconnections in Metro Manila and four other Luzon provinces following application of amended improved community quarantine protocols (MECQ) in these areas.

The no-disconnection extension will run from August 21 to August 31 – and this is the period during which MECQ restrictions are in effect in the capital, as well as Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal and Lucena City in Quezon province.

The utility company imposed for the first time the postponement of the cut of service from August 6 to 20; when the National Capital Region and neighboring provinces were placed under strict quarantine under the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) status of movement restrictions mandated by the Interagency Working Group (IATF) for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.

Being temporarily spared by the shutdown of electricity service would lead to less worry for consumers, as they can be assured of a continuous power supply while they clear the hurdles of strict Covid lockdowns.

Meanwhile, for Meralco customers in areas that are under General Community Quarantine (GCQ) status, the company noted that it “would continue to be very considerate during this time”, as it also pledged that she would be available to assist clients with their concerns. .

“Meralco will continue with its vital operations, such as meter reading, delivery of invoices and service teams will continue to work around the clock to serve its customers,” the utility said.

The electricity company stressed that it understands the plight of consumers who might not be able to pay their bills during the ECQ and MECQ quarantine periods, therefore, it leaves them some leeway in this area.

And for customers who had been hit hard by the pandemic – including those who had been made redundant from their jobs, Meralco has consistently said it was prepared to give “time to pay”; as long as these subscribers make good faith arrangements with the company to determine how and when they can settle their arrears.

Meralco also reiterated that it will continue its meter reading business, which means that more than 7.0 million customers will pay bills corresponding to their actual consumption.

And with the onset of the typhoon season, the power company has advised its customers to always keep safety tips in mind, so that they do not encounter untoward incidents in their use of electricity such as commodity in their homes or establishments.

Meralco said these safety measures include the need to ensure that “circuit breakers are turned off in the event of a flood; keep you dry at all times before touching an electrical installation; unplug household appliances; remove mud and dirt from service equipment using rubber gloves and shoes with rubber soles; make sure all wires and electrical devices are dry; and have the wiring systems checked by a licensed electrician.



SUBSCRIBE TO THE DAILY NEWSLETTER

CLICK HERE TO JOIN


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.